Five good reasons to submit your preprint to a PCI
- PCI, based on preprints, is a free, innovative project. It does not rely on private or for-profit publishers, but on your scientific community. Preprints are scientifically validated and recommended free of charge.
- PCI guarantees the scientific validity of preprints. Once recommended, your preprint can be cited as “peer-reviewed”! Moreover, it is associated with a high-quality recommendation text signed by renowned scientists in the field, which is likely to stimulate interest in your preprint. Readers have access to your preprint and its recommendation entirely free of charge.
- PCI recommendations are transparent: the entire editorial process is public. Readers will have access to reviews and will know on what basis your preprint has been recommended, which is not the case for the vast majority of articles published in journals.
- PCI recommendation and publication in a journal are not mutually exclusive: your preprint can be recommended by a PCI and then submitted to a journal. Authors need only wait for the outcome of the recommendation process before submitting their preprints for publication in traditional journals. This requirement is imposed solely to prevent parallel reviewing processes.
- PCI can increase the chances of your preprint being accepted by a traditional journal. The reviews of your preprint and the modifications requested can substantially increase the quality of your preprint before its submission to a traditional journal, thereby increasing the likelihood of acceptance. For instance, in ecology and evolution, the Editors-in-Chief of Ecology Letters, Evolution, BMC Evol Biol, Oikos, Evolutionary Ecology, Evolutionary Applications, Molecular Ecology, Frontiers of Biogeography, Genetica, and Journal of Evolutionary Biology have indicated they will consider submissions of recommended preprints and they may use PCI reviews and recommendations for their own review processes.
Before submitting a preprint
Submitting a preprint
1) Go to the website of the PCI of your choice (PCI Evol Biol, PCI Ecol, PCI Paleo) and log in
2) Click on the green ‘SUBMIT A PREPRINT’ button
3) Complete the form (title, authors, DOI, abstract, keywords, thematic fields)
4) Suggest recommenders by clicking on the blue ‘SUGGEST RECOMMENDERS’ button. Each time you suggest a new recommender, you can add others, or remove a suggested recommender by clicking on the orange ‘REMOVE’ button
5) Complete your submission by clicking on the green ‘COMPLETE YOUR SUBMISSION’ button. This will result in your submission being sent to the managing board for validation.